Corrie McKeague Landfill 23/11/17
News

Search For Missing Airman Corrie McKeague Extended

Corrie McKeague Landfill 23/11/17

The search of a landfill site for missing RAF serviceman Corrie McKeague is to be extended.

Police believe that Corrie, who vanished last year whilst on a night out in Bury St Edmunds, climbed into a bin and was taken to a landfill site.

The search of the landfill site re-started in October, and was due to end next week.

However, police have now said that the search could continue for several more weeks, a development which Corrie’s mother, Nicola Urquhart, said was “positive”.

Police have stated that although timelines are not “set in stone”, the search could continue until mid-December.

Corrie was last seen on CCTV in Bury St Edmunds in the early hours of Saturday, 24 September 2016.

Writing on Facebook, Mrs Urquhart said she could not find the words to express just how much she "desperately wants" to find her son.

"It is not closure I am looking for, it is Corrie I am looking for."

Police have sifted through over 1,400 tonnes of rubbish since the search restarted.

They released a statement saying:

"The search at Milton Landfill is progressing well, with continuing review of processes to ensure nothing is missed.

“It is recognised that whilst the designated search area remains the same, timescales are not set in stone and subject to many variables.

“It is currently anticipated that the search may progress through to early-mid December. We continue to engage with the family to keep them fully informed."

Related topics

Join Our Newsletter

WatchUsOn

Where are North Korea's troops in Russia?

Army heartbreak for military cross country runner🏃

Royal Navy lifesaving training at sea🛟