London Bridge Aftermath (Credit SWNS)
News

'Severe Terrorist Threat' For Two More Years, Home Office Warns

London Bridge Aftermath (Credit SWNS)

Britain faces a severe threat from Islamist terrorism for at least another two years - and the danger could increase further still, the Home Office has warned.

Security agencies are also confronting a rising risk from extreme right-wing violence as the potential sources of attacks becomes more diverse.

The assessments emerged as the Government prepares to unveil a strengthened counter-terrorism strategy.

Sajid Javid confirmed that the Government plans to recruit 2,000 extra officers into the security services to fight the "severe terrorist threat".

He told the BBC's Andrew Marr Show: "That is part of the announcement making sure we have all the resources we need to fight this severe terrorist threat.

"The terrorist threat is top of my mind, something I think of every single day, what more we can do."

Powers were reviewed after five attacks last year, and on Monday Home Secretary Sajid Javid will announce a range of steps aimed at boosting the authorities' efforts to stop atrocities.

Plans to share information held by MI5 more widely across Government and local agencies are expected to be included in the blueprint.

The Home Office said: "In summary, we expect the threat from Islamist terrorism to remain at its current, heightened level for at least the next two years, and that it may increase further.

"We assess the threat from extreme right-wing terrorism is growing.

London Bridge Memorial

"Globally, terrorist groups and networks of all ideologies continue to develop organically, exploiting social media, technology and science to further their aims and ambitions."

Security agencies and counter-terror policing have foiled 12 Islamist and four extreme right-wing plots since March last year.

MI5 and police are running more than 500 live operations involving roughly 3,000 "subjects of interest" at any one time.

In addition, there are in excess of 20,000 people who have previously been investigated and who could again pose a threat.

The strategy launched on Monday is expected to set out plans for MI5 to share its intelligence more widely and work with partners such as local authorities on how best to manage the risk posed by closed subjects of interest.

An official review into four of the five attacks in 2017 by former terror laws watchdog David Anderson QC said: "This should enable, for example, neighbourhood policing and other agencies to make judgments with a better knowledge of the national security risk, and to implement appropriate local action."

London Bridge Attack – One Year Ago

A year ago today, Lieutenant Jared Bambridge gave life-saving first aid to victims of the London Bridge terror attack.

He ran towards danger with no regard for his personal safety and was a first-responder while the attack was underway.

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn says his thoughts are with all those affected by the London Bridge terror attack on the first anniversary of the atrocity.

Mr Corbyn tweeted: "Just as after the attacks in Manchester and Finsbury Park, our communities stood together and refused to be divided, even in the face of great tragedy."

He also praised hero police officer Wayne Marques, who was stabbed as he confronted all three attackers.

The politician added: "I was honoured to present a #PrideofBritain award to PC Wayne Marques who risked his life during the attack. I pay tribute to our emergency services who are first to respond to these horrific acts and put themselves on the line to keep us safe every day."

Mr Javid, who will attend a memorial service to mark the anniversary of the London Bridge attack, said: "In May we mourned with Manchester. Today we remember the shocking attack on London Bridge and Borough Market.

"The Government is absolutely committed to doing everything possible to tackle the terrorist threat. It is my first priority every day in this job.

"We are working with the police, intelligence and security agencies, the private and public sector and international partners to make sure we have the best plans in place.

"I will be speaking about those plans in detail tomorrow when we publish our strengthened counter-terrorism strategy.

"But ultimately the strongest response is not just what we do, but who we are. The best way to stop terrorists achieving their aims is to stand by our values of tolerance, fairness and go out about our lives."

Related topics

Join Our Newsletter

WatchUsOn

Ex Eastern Sentry shows precision and stripes in the sky✈️

British Army U23s retain championship⚽

Army bobsleigh's Mica Moore reflects on Winter Olympics result