Cadets

Curbing the manosphere: Minister says cadets offers young people real values

The manosphere has become widely associated with anti-feminist views, aggressive definitions of masculinity and extreme misogyny

Ahead of a new initiative celebrating the UK Cadet Force, Minister for Veterans and People Louise Sandher-Jones highlighted to BFBS Forces News the important values it can instil in young people, particularly amid the rise of online manosphere communities.

"What makes a good leader isn't somebody who can just sound off on social media. It's so important we teach these young people these values so when they can see someone on social media in the manosphere just talking nonsense, they can recognise it for the grift that it is," she said. 

Her comments echo emergent concerns within the Army about the impact of manosphere rhetoric spreading from social media into the ranks of the military.

Promoted by figures such as influencer Andrew Tate, the manosphere has become widely associated with anti-feminist views, aggressive definitions of masculinity and extreme misogyny, often expressed through social media, podcasts, and internet forums. 

Last month, the head of the Army General Sir Roly Walker told a parliamentary committee that the rise of manosphere rhetoric online has made it harder to stop sexual harassment and misogyny in the military.

Recognising that we're not all the same 

Ms Sandher-Jones described the importance of teaching young people from the beginning to recognise real leadership, discipline, and respect, and said adult volunteers of the cadet force embody those values. 

"It's showing them that we are stronger when we work together, it's stronger when we include people, have different strengths, different weaknesses, and it's recognising that we're not the same," she said. 

During the media day, cadets took part in a variety of activities, including fieldcraft, an air rifle shooting competition, and skills and techniques used for camouflage and concealment.  

The lessons learned were put to the test for cadet Marco, from the Irish Guards Montgomery Platoon, who had the bold task of concealing himself in a bush, fully camouflaged, to see whether the minister would notice him.  

"Did she spot you?" he was asked. He replied with a smile, saying no.

Cadet Marco's impressive camouflage meant he remained unseen by Ms Sandher-Jones (Picture: BFBS)
Cadet Marco's impressive camouflage meant he remained unseen by the minister (Picture: BFBS)

When questioned what he enjoyed most about the cadets, he said: "I've always wanted to shoot a gun in general, and the people you meet at cadets are probably the best people you [will] ever meet. 

On the important value that the cadet force brings for him personally, Marco said: "It's respect. Today, respect is really important and in general, some people do lack it, but I really believe in it. 

He jokingly added that you can expect to see him in more bushes in the future. 

Shaping the future 

The event – held at the London Oratory School – comes as the government announces the first-ever National Cadet Week, commencing on October 5. 

Throughout the week, cadet units from across the UK will open their doors to schools, families, and local communities – taking part in outreach activities and delivering presentations to schools and workplaces to help spread awareness of the programme. 

Mrs Sandher-Jones said: "I think the Cadets is an amazing organisation that makes such a difference to young people's lives up and down this country. The skills, the experience, the values that you can get, I just think they're second to none, so I think it's really great that we're going to shine a light on it. 

On her participation in the air rifle shooting competition, she added: "I haven't fired a weapon in years, so it was nice to know I can still remember which side is which."

According to the BFBS reporter who was present on the day, Ms Sandher-Jones delivered a tight and impressive grouping (Picture: BFBS)
Mrs Sandher-Jones delivered a tight and impressive grouping at the event (Picture: BFBS)

What the future holds 

There are more young people in the UK's Cadet Forces than there are soldiers in the British Army, and the organisation was highlighted in last year's Strategic Defence Review as a vital part of the whole-society approach to defence. 

In August last year, the government pledged £70 million in new funding for cadet forces to fund its drive to increase youth participation in the organisations by 30% by 2030. However, as of March this year, BFBS Forces News reported there's no sign of the additional funding nor the National Cadet Champion the government plans to appoint.

A new Cadets Action Plan will be published during National Cadets Week, setting out the government’s long-term vision to expand high-quality, accessible cadet provision and ensure more young people from all backgrounds can benefit.

This will include modernising the cadet experience, providing an attractive offer to retain and recruit adult volunteers, and ensuring that cadets and volunteers have the right resources and support.

Related topics

Join Our Newsletter

WatchUsOn

RAF Valley v RAF Akrotiri | 2026 RAF Plate Final | Forces Football

Major milestone as Ukraine's glide bomb 'Equaliser' revealed

UKAF concede President's Cup after bruising defeat⚽️